The L1 visa category was created to allow the transfer of executives, managers and employees with specialized knowledge between an affiliated foreign office to a qualifying office in the United States. The L1 visa also allows foreign companies without a U.S. presence to send executives or managers to the United States in order to establish a new office.
In general, in order to qualify for an L visa the following criteria must be met:
- There must exist a qualifying relationship between the U.S company and the foreign company, i.e., parent company, branch, subsidiary or affiliate; and
- The sponsoring company must currently be doing business within the United States and in at least one other country through the qualifying relationship.
In order to enter the United States on an L visa to establish new offices, the employer must show:
- Sufficient physical premises to house the new office have been secured;
- The employee must have been employed as an executive or manager for one continuous year in the prior three years; and
- The intended U.S. office will support an executive or managerial position within one year of the approval of the petition.
Upon approval an L1 visa can be issued for up to 3 years. Employees entering the United States to establish a new office will be given a maximum of one year. We have experience assisting international companies transfer their employees between qualifying offices. Additionally, we are experienced in assisting foreign companies establish new offices within the United States. Contact us today so that we can assist you in transferring your qualified employees into the United States or to establish your U.S. presence.
Call us today at 1-800-459-0270